The Cebu Normal University (CNU) staff, faculty, and administrative officials showcased the rich Cebuano culture during the Visayas Vignettes cultural show on June 29 at the SUC (State Universities and Colleges) Fair 2022 held in SM Mall of Asia Entertainment Hall.
The SUC Fair 2022 was held to celebrate the 28th anniversary of the Commission on Higher Education (CHED) and its 2nd National Higher Education Day and ran from June 28 to July 1, 2022.
Themed Promoting Innovation, Entrepreneurship, and Culture & Arts for National Development and Global Competitiveness, the Fair aimed to: 1) commemorate the anniversary of CHED and the National Higher Education Day and recognize its stakeholders’ contribution to the development of higher education in the Philippines; 2) highlight the roles of SUCs as prime movers of research and development, as the source of innovation, and as partners for national development, and 3) showcase the products and talents of SUCs across the country.
SUCs from the different regions of the Philippines highlighted their innovations and products in the innovation exhibits and product bazaar.
The nightly shows showcased the vibrant cultures of the three island groups of the country.
The Visayan Vignettes was the second of the three cultural shows boasting the rich culture of the Visayas.
The CNU delegation to the Fair represented the Region 7 SUCs and proudly featured the rich Cebuano arts and culture.
Ms. Naila Beltran, the artistic director of the presentation divided the entire performance into three themes: 1) The Faith, 2) The Art, and 3) The Beauty.
Recognizing Cebu as the country’s birthplace of Christianity, The Faith was manifested through the festive beat of the Sinulog by the CNU Dance Ensemble and the song Wala’y Sukod ang Pagmahal by Mr. Karl Patrick Casas as homage to the Sto. Niño and St. Pedro Calungsod respectively.
Exhibiting the musical artistry of the Cebuanos then and now, Ms. Kimberly Raya and Casas performed the time-honored classics Sa Kabukiran and Usahay respectively while Ms. Therese Marie Langit and Dr. Kim Francis Rodriguez playfully rendered the Vispop hit Bok Love.
Finally, The Beauty emphasized on the timeless charisma of the Cebuana defined by her strong character and unique charm in the song Babayeng Sugbuanon as performed by Rodriguez with the special participation of Dr. Daisy Palompon, the Officer-in-Charge to the Office of the University President of CNU and Dr. Laurence Garcia, the OIC University and Board Secretary.
“The concept of the presentation of Cebu Normal University really showcases the art and culture that we have been preserving and we are very proud of of our very own Cebu.” Palompon said.
Palompon also lauded the entire CNU delegation for having been able to come up with a meaningful and impressive presentation despite limitations of time.
“It was a very meaningful presentation despite the limited time preparation but the team – the performers really demonstrated their love for music, their love for arts, showcasing their talent and also giving their best for Cebu Normal University.” Palompon said.
The CNU performers consisted of administrative staff, faculty, and University Officials:
- Mr. Nilmark Argomido (College of Medicine)
- Ms. Mary Jane Auman (External Affairs and International Linkages Office)
- Ms. Mary Jermaine Estrada (College of Teacher Education)
- Ms. Jessa Fernandez (Learning Resource Center)
- Mr. Harrold Gogo (Finance Services Division)
- Ms. Honey Grace Irizari (Supply Office)
- Ms. Imee Jeruta (External Affairs and International Linkages Office)
- Mr. Nelson Sombilon (Records Office)
- Ms. Mae Quilaton (Office of the Vice-President for Academic Affairs)
- Mr. Angelito Cabanilla (College of Teacher Education)
- Ms. Kimberly Raya (College of Teacher Education)
- Ms. Therese Marie Langit (College of Arts and Sciences)
- Mr. Karl Patrick Casas (College of Arts and Sciences)
- Dr. Kim Francis Rodriguez – Public Information Officer
- Dir. Naila Beltran – Director, External Affairs and International Linkages Office
- Dr. Laurence Garcia – OIC-University and Board Secretary
- Dr. Daisy Palompon – OIC-Office of the University President
The performance ended with a dance rendition of I Love Cebu with a curtain call of the performers and was well-applauded by the members of the audience. (KFR)